Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore Bergamo Italy



Dear Art-loving friend,
Soon, I will be showing you some new work, but in the meantime, I hope that you will enjoy some of the spectacular art that is a bit overwhelming and mind-blowing.  To think what humans can accomplish!  

These images of art and designs are taken in and near the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Bergamo, Italy.  I look for composition lessons in places like these.  You will see some paintings here that have a marvelous pattern design of light vs. dark.  Also, it helps me to understand my own aesthetic better even to see what I do not like… namely compositions that are just information overload.. too busy.  

I think this may be the first place in Italy, besides the famous Uffizi Galleries in Firenze, in which I noticed the large art tapestries hung on the walls.  No doubt they served the functional purpose of insulation.  People love high ceilings and stone buildings, but that combination can be brutally cold in the winter.

Enjoy!  And please let me know if there are too many images in this or any other post. 
Thank you for reading,
Kelly Borsheim




Not an elegant pose, but certainly this creates a challenge for a bas relief, compressed sculptural form!




The floor alone is enough to make me swoon in a seemingly religious fervor.



No, that is not a big screen at the top of the pulpit stair!  It is just the reflection on a painting.  One problem I have with art in churches and sometimes even museums is that it is very difficult to see the art!  However, perhaps this is a problem with the medium of oil painting.  Fresco rarely has a problem such as this (only for inlaid-gold crowns and such).


Two tapestries, smaller than the one shown below.

This is a wonderful composition.  Despite the many figures in this very large work, the subjects are in light and the background action in dark, forming an overall simpler design that eases the eye while directing it.

I really enjoy the dark figures here set against a light background.  I find the flying baby at the top a bit weird, but mostly because the shapes of his wings strike me as odd and remind me of something else, although at this writing it escapes me what.
 
This is a funny composition for what looks to be a variation on "The Last Supper."  With the diagonal movement and the figures looking in various direxions, the main point of amusement for me is that the man's bum faces the viewer in no subtle way.  The interaction of the white dog and cat only serve as pointers to this pose of the man.
wood patterns

One of the many GRAND tapestries in this Basilica in Bergamo

"Indulgenza" says this sign that hangs above the entrance into the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, Bergamo, Italy.

No comments: