Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Figure Painting Mural


Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

Hmmm, I have been struggling too much with painting figures with acrylic paint. It dries darker and slightly redder and FAST. So, I tried the idea of painting the shadows in one color and the lights in another. Then I work the transition between tones. In a smaller area such as the transition, I hoped to be able to work fast and keep soft edges.

Still, it has been a struggle for me and I have not been happy with the result. I had been working on this mural from a day that started around 8 a.m. through the entire day, usually going to sleep around 2 a.m. I was slowing down mentally at a time in which I needed to be the sharpest.

Today, I saw my friend Victor, the muralist, and he told me that he only does a tonal value of human figures in acrylic. Then he switches to oil! Sheesh! I left Caprese this past Sunday morning and returned to Firenze. However, I am going back this weekend to fix what I do not like, as well as create what there was not time to finish.

Here are a few more work-in-process shots, including one of some visitors to my “temporary studio.”

Thanks for reading! My book about my street painting in Italy is now available in Amazon.it in Italy, as well as other European Amazons. Check it out on Amazon.it. They even allow you to see some of the inside pages!
You may also order a signed copy directly from me (no extra charge for the inscription) and I will get you a shipping quote from Italy. Contact me directly, please.

No comments: