Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Dawn with Full Moon and the Sea



Dear Art lover,

“Up at Dawn” is not usually a phrase you will hear come out of my mouth very often.  However, the only reason for that is that nighttime arrives first and I love that time of day, apparently a little better.  This despite the fact that each time in my life that I have made a point to be somewhere outside between the hours of 4 – 7 a.m. it has always been a wonderful experience.

I hardly slept the night of 3 Feb… or the night before.  I am fortunate enough now to live in a place in which I can see the western horizon and I have tried, in vain, for the last two opportunities to see the full moon setting large on that horizon of sea and sky.

The moon rises about 50 minutes later each day.  So, I have been timing and watching.  Sadly, the last two full moons have also seen cloudy nights.   But I hoped on the 3rd night of this month's full moon that I would see something.  So, I was up and moving around 5 a.m. and walked out towards the sea.  I was surprised by how much further north the moon was going down compared to the sun’s exit place.  This first shot was taken around 6:20 a.m.  I was pumped.  Despite being about 10-minutes away from the bend where I could see that part of the horizon, look how large and red the moon was!  It is a bit horrible that I do not have a better camera and a better zoom lens!  

Red big full moon setting around 6 a.m. in Umag, Croatia


Sadly, I missed the moonset.  I had quasi-run to the edge, worrying that once the sinking started, it would go fast, as it does.  Either I was slightly too late or there were just too many solid clouds on the horizon, I could not tell.  I thought to go back home to bed, but there was such a peace listening to the water lapping over the rocks and cement of the sea wall that I stood behind.  So, I pulled out my very long and thick scarf and balled it into a pillow and laid down on the wall, closing my eyes so I could just listen and breathe the clean air.

lighthouse Adriatic Sea Umag Croatia dawn


This second image shows the view north to a lighthouse.  And the rest of the images were taken as I walked back home towards the dawn.  Of course, I had to stop at “my” outdoor gym that faces the harbor.  I like to do the arm pulls whenever I pass by.  Then you see a new little amphitheatre that the city of Umag, Croatia, is adding to the sea walk.

I should do this more often.  I love walking along the sea with so few people about. However, it is cold which explains the peace.

My latest art newsletter is getting a good response, considering that I am still having problems sending it to my subscription list.  Six months ago, I went to Australia to judge an art competition and teach art workshops in Queensland.  After my jobs were done, I flew south to Tasmania.  See Devils in the Sanctuary and other goodies in Tasmania.  Click here:

And, as always, thank you for your continued interest.  Share this with anyone you think might appreciate it! 
Kelly

~ Kelly Borsheim, sculptor, painter, writer, teacher

P.S.  Happy birthdays to my brother Steve and also my Uncle John.

dawn sea walk Umag Croatia
dawn blues sea walk sea ramp Umag Croatia
outdoor gym with view of harbor harbour Umag Croatia
Dawn rising over the new amphitheatre construction Sea Walk Umag Croatia


No comments: